Tips & Tricks zu GLAS-PKW -
All about GLAS cars

Moderator: Matthias aus Hohenlohe

Antworten
David Rives

No gas to carbs/Kein Benzin in Vergaser

Beitrag von David Rives »

Hi:

My mechanic has installed new diaphragms in both fuel pumps on my GT 1700. He says that there's gasoline in the fuel line to the pumps, but the fuel line to the carburetors remains dry. I have supplied him a schematic of the fuel system.
My question: Do you have to "prime the pump" somehow in the fuel lines between the pumps and the carburetors?

Mein Mechaniker hat an meinem GT 1700 neue Membranen in den Kraftstoffpumpen eingebaut. Er berichtete mir, daß Benzin zu den Pumpen hinfliesst, aber die Kraftstoffleitung zu den Vergaser noch trocken ist. Meine Frage: Muß man irgendwie "die Pumpen anfüllen" in den Leitungen zwischen den Pumpen und den Vergasern?
Webmaster Matthias
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: No gas to carbs/Kein Benzin in Vergaser

Beitrag von Webmaster Matthias »

Hi David
there is no "priming" necessary. Check if all lines alle connected correctly. Line 1 from fuel tank via filter to the pump 1, line 2 from pump 1 to "collection chamber", line 3 from "collection chamber" to pump 2, line 4 from pump 2 to diverter between carburetors. Check if diverter works properly and is not blocked !
If you use the original 6 Volt system try to fill the system with starter running without spark plugs (dismounted). So there is no compression, starter runs faster and the filling of the system is easier.
Kindly yours and good luck
Matthias

PS: Check whether inlet and outlet of the pumps is not mixed up. I marked my lines and the hoses with coloured cable ties........
Webmaster vom www.glasclub.de .
Selbst Besitzer (und Fahrer !) eines 1951er Goggorollers und eines 1968er 1700 TS.
Arno Seppanen

Beitrag von Arno Seppanen »

Hi David!
Take a look halfway down this page: http://www.ruddies.business.t-online.de/35rh.htm

Regards
Arno
spitzerer
Glas-Club Mitglied
Glas-Club Mitglied

Beitrag von spitzerer »

Hello David,
there is a short tappet in the isolator foot of the fuel pump.
This part sometimes is lost into the oil or to the outside or forgotten, and then the fuel pump will never work because actuation is missed.
Did you check this ??

Fill the float chamber with fuel via the venting befor starting trials - it takes a lot of battery power to get this filled.
Fill the carbs with fuel via the venting (use syringe and needle)

regards
Wolfgang
Webmaster Matthias
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von Webmaster Matthias »

Hello David
in addition to the very qualified advice of Wolfgang I would like to add, that this tappet or small pushrod (about 5 mm diameter and estimated 10 mm length) could be blocked by dirt, rust, rests of liquid seal. So please check, whether the pump pushrod / small piston comes out again if it is pressed by the excentric shaft of the crankshaft.
Kindly yours
Matthias
Webmaster vom www.glasclub.de .
Selbst Besitzer (und Fahrer !) eines 1951er Goggorollers und eines 1968er 1700 TS.
David Rives

Thanks everyone for your advice. I've sent your tips to my mechanic and he says he'll try them.
It's great to have the advice of the club members so we can help train Glas Master Mechanics in the USA (I chose this mechanic because he had an old DKW that he restored, and he likes working on European microcars).
I'll let everyone know how this works out.
spitzerer
Glas-Club Mitglied
Glas-Club Mitglied

Beitrag von spitzerer »

Hi, David,

I am no more a member of the GLAS-Club.

Target of the GLAS-Club is keeping GLAS-cars running by reproduction of spares and keeping all the knowledges.
All what is done is an expensive magazine ...
That is not my club any more.

Wolfgang
David Rives

Hello Everyone:

Thanks everyone who responded to me for your help. I gave my mechanic all your diagrams and instructions. The problem was indeed the small tappet/pushrod that powers the pump. The rubber o-ring around it had collapsed and was blocking it.
My mechanic loves to make videos and he posted this one of my car to youtube. Please take a look:

http://youtu.be/Abp4CC8mncU

Regards,
David
Antworten